- November 8, 2018
- Comments: 0
- Posted by: Frankie Cochrane
It’s never too early to think about what you plan to do with your hair for the holiday season. From 1990s accessories to blow-outs, slicked-back buns to fanciful up-dos, there is a retro feel to the styles for hair this holiday season.
If you like the trends as documented by Harper’s Bazaar, you’ll find a few retro trends:
- Shades of Amy Winehouse are evident with the big tease. It’s the 1950s and 1960s bad girl come back – or did she ever leave? A definite rock-and-roll look.
- The messy bun is back, thanks to Meghan Markle. But in a way, it never went away. The messy bun is the go-to up-do any time that the hair needs to quickly be contained. Now, it’s here for the holiday occasion as well.
- For the women whose faces work with a sleek look, there are slicked-back braids and ponytails. Soften the single long tail or plait by having a few messy pieces around the ears. That gives the look less severity and more femininity.
The trends by Vogue have a slightly different retro look that are reminiscent of the 1990s:
- Hair accessories are the rage, especially high school throwbacks such as banana grips and zig-zag hairbands. Rather than wearing dark accessories that blend in with your hair, choose bright and sparkly hair clips that show off your choices.
- The minimalist look is another trend. The bed-head of tousled locks depends on a good cut, so you get the girl-next-door look instead of the morning-after-the-pub-crawl look. The loose, wavy hair is also great for running fingers through hair.
- Sculptured bobs, a la Jackie Kennedy, are back with a vengeance. Whether the bob ends in a flip, or is saturated with pop-art neon colours, they’re topping heads on catwalks and at parties everywhere.
The trends by Elle continue along a similar theme:
- A simple black ribbon around a ponytail is the touch that says casually dressy.
- Have a blow-out blowdry, and get as much volume in your hair as possible. Big hair is back, and a calculated toss of the head is a tried-and-true technique for getting attention.
- If your hair is curly instead, then big, beautiful curls make for an unruly look. The longer the hair, the bigger the look, and that will make heads turn.
When you’re thinking about your look for your parties, you can choose to follow the season’s trends, or you can strike out on your own. Ultimately, you want to choose a style that suits your face and makes you shine. (And it goes without saying that if you come into Frankie Cochrane, we can make you look fabulous.)