- November 16, 2018
- Comments: 0
- Posted by: Frankie Cochrane
With the frosty season comes short dark days and dry winter air. And the cold can parch your hair and make it feel brittle if you don’t take that little extra care. Want to learn how to protect your natural hair in the winter? Read on…
Hair loss is known to be seasonal. And the normal amount of shedding 50 to 100 strands a day may slightly increase during colder months.
Does hair fall in winter? The cold weather doesn’t actually affect the number of hairs you have on your head – and studies show that some people lose less hair during chilly weather.
Ongoing research shows hair shedding in the autumn is quite normal. And that hair loss is most common in late summer when your hair stops growing. Temperatures only influenced hair loss slightly.
If you experience a greater amount of cold weather hair loss and are noticing bald patches you should see your GP or specialist. This could be a sign of other health-related or genetic issues.
Using hair products that are environmentally friendly and cruelty-free will provide you with healthy hair. Hydrating shampoos that don’t contain sulphates or alcohol are the ones to choose.
Each time you wash your hair follow up with an appropriate conditioner. Or apply a conditioning cream that you can leave in. When hair is dry use a soft finishing spray to prevent any static. And it won’t weigh hair down.
Opt for a repair conditioning treatment if your hair feels dry. Intense conditioners will strengthen hair, and restore natural shine. Massaging the scalp gently each time you shower will keep the scalp healthy with that improved blood supply. And encourage the natural flow of oils.
- Try simply towel patting your hair or leaving it to dry naturally to avoid any damage caused by hot styling tools.
- Don’t shampoo as often, and lower the water temperature to prevent the reduction of natural oils.
- Use brushes with natural boar bristles to style, and wide-toothed detangling combs to prevent breakage.
- Eat a healthy diet and keep your hair hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Keeping your home dehumidified will help your hair health.
Winter hair protection comes in many forms. You can deal with cold weather hair loss by:
- Wearing well-fitting, clean hats – tight-fitting hats may cause friction which weakens hair follicles. And dirty hats can cause scalp infections.
- Tying hair up in a loose ponytail or chignon with a silk scarf – this reduces the build-up of static.
- Using ear muffs to keep out the chill.
- Wetting hair before you go into the swimming pool – or wearing a cap to prevent damage from chlorine.
As temperatures fall – winter hairstyles include layers, bangs, and bobs. All great looks to keep you feeling fabulous. Popular styles incorporate dark and rich colours alongside subtle lowlights.
Your professional stylist will add volume to give you a style with plenty of lift. Or you can opt for a formal style for elegance and grace. Whether your hair is long or short, you’ll get the look that’s right for any occasion.
Trained stylists will make sure you get the professional hair care you need. From curly hair styling to grey hair care. Scissor cuts or calligraphy razor techniques. And you’ll leave the salon with all the confidence in the world.